Wednesday, March 18, 2009

We've Been Gassed


I've overcome a LOT of shit in this job, but this will no doubt go down as one of this company's 'finer' moments. I walked in this morning to a very odd smell. No, not the usual scent of my boss' Icy-Hot, the accountant's horrific urine-scented aftershave, or even the new girl's rancid fish and noodles that she brings every morning, but something I couldn't quite place. I decide to ignore the odor and go about my morning of reading through emails from manufacturers, sales, marketing, and a slew of other people put on this earth for the sole purpose of irritating me. Then at about 11:35am today it hit me. GAS. It wasn't the smell from when I walked in, but it hit everyone up front like a ton of bricks. The smell lasted for about 15 mins but that was enough to make me think "Hmmm... yeah, I'd rather NOT die in the presence of this fucking dirty hippie and his minions (yes, I'm one of them), but if it were up to me, I'd like to leave this wonderful planet the way I was probably intended to - asleep with a bottle of rum at my bedside. Anyway, I digress... the smell dissipates and it throws our germ-phobic accountant into a panic. He grabs his jacket and bolts out the door muttering something in his native language that sounded a little like "Yabba Dabba Do" to me.

A little while later, our fearless leader, Joe (the aforementioned dirty hippie), comes in and tries to assure us that he had called Con Edison to have the area tested last night, and therefor there was no reason for concern. He leaves the office just as the accountant walks back in with a large bag from Lee's Hardware. I'm currently writing this as I leave for lunch, but made sure to snap this photo for all to enjoy:



In the event that I don't make it out alive today, I wish you all good luck and best dishes... SHIT, *wishes (Damnit, I've been watching too much Paula Dean)

No comments: